A reading comprehension intervention for pupils in KS2 who have age appropriate decoding skills but who are experiencing difficulty acquiring full meaning and enjoyment from their reading.
Inference training demonstrates key comprehension strategies through “instructional conversations” in groups to help boost reading comprehension. Through reading and interactive discussions, the group:
- Activate and apply prior knowledge to their reading and use title cues to predict
- Identify key words and elaborate on them to enhance meaning, and develop vocabulary
- Generate their own questions and answer them
- Generate inferences and integrate meaning as they read to build a gist
- Summarise a short text extract using visualisation, quick pictures, picto-words and a 10 word or less headline
- Retell an extract to emphasise the gist