Skip to content ↓
Newbold and Tredington C of E Primary School & Day Nursery

Newbold and Tredington

C of E Primary School and Day Nursery

Creating a chance to SHINE everyday

SEN Information Report Sept 2023

Newbold & Tredington (C of E) Primary School

Warwickshire’s Local Offer

The Children and Families Act 2014 requires all local authorities to make significant changes to their special educational needs and disability (SEND) services by September 2014.

Through the act the government is transforming the system so that services can consistently support the best outcomes for these children and young people.

The act extends availability of SEND support from birth to 25, giving young people and their families greater control and choice in decision making to ensure their needs are properly met. The changes include:

  • replacing old statements of special educational needs with a new birth- to-25 education, health and care plan;
  • offering families personal budgets;
  • improving cooperation between all the services that support children and their
    families, particularly requiring local authorities and health authorities to work

Local authorities are currently working with other health and social care services to review the support available and how it can be accessed through the development of ‘Local Offers’.

Warwickshire’s Local Offer will bring together all information relating to all services and support available across education, health, social care and the voluntary sector with the aim of making the information more accessible to families and the professionals who work with them.

For further information please visit

SEN information report for Newbold and Tredington C of E Primary School

Q. Who are the best people to speak to in school about my child’s difficulties in learning/special needs or disability? 

The class teacher

Responsible for

  • Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be targeted work or additional support) and letting the Special Education Needs/Disabilities Co-ordinator (SENCo) know as necessary.
  • Writing Personalised Learning Plans (PLPs) and sharing and reviewing these with parents at least once each term and planning for the next term.
  • Personalised teaching and learning for your child as identified on the school’s provision map.
  • Ensuring that the school’s SEN Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEN.

The SENCo/Inclusion Manager: Mrs S Welsby

MAT Inclusion Manager: Mrs K Ballard

Responsible for

  • Developing and reviewing the school’s SEN policy.
  • Co-ordinating all the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND)
  • Ensuring that you are

i) involved in supporting your child’s learning

ii) kept informed about the support your child is getting

iii) involved in reviewing how they are doing.

  • Liaising with all the other people who may be coming in to school to help support your child’s learning, e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology.
  • Updating the school’s SEN register (a system for ensuring that all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that records of your child’s progress and needs are kept.
  • Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school, so that they can help children with SEND in the school to achieve the best progress possible.

The Head teacher: Mrs Welsby

Responsible for

  • The day-to-day management of all aspects of the school; this includes the support for children with SEND.
  • The Head teacher will give responsibility to the SENCo and class teachers, but is still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met.
  • The Head teacher must make sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about issues relating to SEND.

The Inclusion Governor: Mrs Sian Jones

Responsible for

  • Making sure that the necessary support is given for any child with SEND who attends the school.

School contact telephone number:  01608 661568

Q. What are the different types of support available at your school for children with SEND? 

a) Class teacher input, via excellent targeted and differentiated classroom teaching (Quality First Teaching).

b) Specific group work

Intervention which may be

  • Run in the classroom or a group room.
  • Run by a teacher or a learning support assistant (LSA)

c) Specialist groups run by outside agencies, e.g. Speech and Language therapy 

This means a pupil has been identified by the SENCo/Inclusion Manager/class teacher as needing some extra specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. For this to occur your parental permission would be required and a meeting would occur to inform you of what would take place and what this would mean for your child.

 d)  Specified Individual support

This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are severe, complex and lifelong.

This is usually provided via a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This means your child will have been identified by professionals as needing a particularly high level of individual or small-group teaching.  All persons involved in this type of support would meet regularly (at least termly) to talk through provision, progress and identified targets.

Q.  How will you support my child during periods of transition e.g. moving class, key stage or school? 

We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEN, and we take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.

If your child is joining us from another school:

  • The SENCo will visit pre-schools with the Foundation Stage Leader when appropriate.
  • Your child will be able to visit our school and stay for a taster session, if this is appropriate.

If your child is moving to another school: 

  • We will contact the school SENCo and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child. Where possible, a planning meeting will take place with the SENCo from the new school.
  • We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.
  • If your child would be helped by a book/passport to support them in understand moving on, then one will be made for them.

When moving classes in school: 

  • Information will be passed on to the new class teacher in advance and in most cases a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher. IEP s will be shared with the new teacher.

In Year 6: 

  • The SENCo will discuss the specific needs of your child with the SENCo of the child’s secondary school. In most cases, a transition review meeting to which you will be invited will take place with the SENCo from the new school.
  • Your child will participate in focused learning relating to aspects of transition, to support their understanding of the changes ahead.
  • Where possible, your child will visit their new school on several occasions, and in some cases staff from the new school will visit your child in this school.
  • If your child would be helped by a book/passport to support them in understand moving on, then one will be made for them.

Q. How will you measure the progress of my child?  

  • Your child’s progress will be continually monitored by his/her class teacher.
  • His/her progress will be reviewed formally with the Head teacher/SENCo every term in reading, writing and maths.
  • At the end of each key stage (i.e. at the end of Year 2 and Year 6), all children are required to be formally assessed using Standard Assessment Tests (SATS). This is something the government requires all schools to do and are the results that are published nationally.
  • Where necessary, children will have individual target set by school or by outside agencies specific to their needs. Targets will be set and designed to accelerate learning and close the gap. Progress against these targets will  be reviewed regularly, evidence for judgements assessed and a future plan made.
  • The progress of children with a statement of SEN/EHC Plan will be formally reviewed at an Annual Review with all adults involved with the child’s education.
  • The SENCo will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual work and in any group that they take part in.
  • Regular book scrutinies and lesson observations will be carried out by the SENCo and other members of the Senior Leadership Team to ensure that the needs of all children are met and that the quality of teaching and learning is high.

Q. How will the parents and the child be involved in their education? 

Parents are reported to a minimum of times a year – however if your child is experiencing difficulties you will be invited in for a discussion about any issues and how these can be resolved.  If the your child continues to experience difficulties and the teacher believes there to be an issue of Special Educational Needs then you will be contacted and asked for permission to place your child onto the SEN register.  

Once your child has been identified with SEN then the teacher will adapt the curriculum and may make extra provision for your child and set targets.  Parents are always consulted where a child has been identified with SEN and feedback from yourself is important to us as we understand that you know your children best.

Any targets will be sent home and at any point you can meet with the teacher or SENCo to look at the targets set and help in the reviewing process.

We also provide all children with home-school diaries – any messages or concerns you have can be noted into the diary and the teacher will respond with any information they can provide either by telephone, in person or by writing a message back in the home-school diary.  

Where appropriate we also try and include the children in the target setting process and consult them on their progress and what help they would like to have next.  We take into consideration the child’s strengths and try and build on these to increase confidence and self-esteem. 

Q.  How will the teaching be adapted to enable progress and success.  

Class teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class (differentiated and personalised) and will ensure that your child’s needs are met.

  • Support staff, under the direction of the class teacher, can adapt planning to support the needs of your child where necessary.
  • Specific resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually and in groups.
  • Planning  and teaching will be adapted, on a daily basis if needed, to meet your child’s learning needs.

Q. Will my child with SEN be able to engage in activities with children without SEN in school. 

Newbold and Tredington C of E Primary is an inclusive school where all children regardless of their abilities are engaged and able to part-take in all activities we offer.  Where appropriate we will make adjustments to the curriculum, environment and activities so all children can access them.  

Q. How are the teachers in school helped to teach children with SEND and what training do they receive? 

The SENCo’s job is to support the class teacher in planning for children with SEN.

  • The school provides training and support to enable all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children, including those with SEN. This includes whole school training on SEN issues, such as Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), attachment disorder and speech and language difficulties.
  • Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class, e.g. from the Autism Team (IDS).

Q How do you know if the provision given to SEND children is effective? 

At Newbold and Tredington C of E Primary school the teachers are incredibly effective at assessing and evaluating both themselves and the provision given to ALL children.  All lesson are evaluated including assessing how particular groups or individual children do.

All out extra provision such as speed reading, talking maths and speech and language programmes are all progress based – whereby the child is baselined before the provision starts and again afterwards to accurately measure progress made by all the children.

The effectiveness of these provisions are reviewed half termly.

Q. How will you support my child emotionally and socially and what measures do you have in place to prevent bullying? 

We recognise that some children have extra emotional and social needs that need to be developed and nurtured. These needs can manifest themselves in a number of ways, including behavioural difficulties, anxiousness, and being uncommunicative.

For children with social and emotional needs  we run interventions such as friendship groups and difficult feeling group and will support children on a  1:1 basis including emotional literacy, self-esteem and confidence, stranger awareness and conflict resolution, bereavement, behaviour recovery and bullying.  We aim to empower children and build up their skill base to enable them to solve problem.

We are also able buy in other resources such as LEGO therapy and Play therapy when needed to ensure all our children feel safe and have access to required provision needed.

Lunchtime and playtime support through planned activities and groups (co-operative play).

If your child still needs extra support, with your permission the SENCo or pastoral care team will access further support through the Early Help process.

Q. Are there other people/organisations involved in in supporting children and families with SEN. 

The Local Authority can support and provide provision to be delivered in school including:

  • Autism Service
  • Educational Psychology Service
  • Sensory Service for children with visual, hearing or other sensory needs
  • Parent Partnership Service
  • SALT (Speech and Language Therapy)

Health Provision delivered in school include:

  • Additional Speech and Language Therapy input to provide a higher level of service to the school
  • School Nurse
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Physiotherapy
  • RISE

Q. How do I make a complaint about the provision my child is receiving? 

We endeavour to deliver an individualised program of provision for children within the school.  However if you were to become unhappy with the provision your child was receiving the first person to speak to would be the school SENCo – Mrs Welsby - who will try to resolve any concerns and work with parents to adapt or change provision given.  If this was not resolved satisfactorily the SEN Governor or the Chair of Governors, would then listen to your concerns and together with the SENCo find an amicable resolution.